Digital approach became useful during classes and therapy of children with autism spectrum disorders. Tutor Yevgeny (psychologist, teacher) shares his experiences of using mobile applications with during his work.
Matty case (7 years old, autism spectrum disorder):
‘Since playing on the tablet is a stereotypical action for Matty, I try to use his work with him for a limited time and in terms of development and not entertainment or encouragement. I offer to choose from all 3 games, and what Matty will choose in what order he will play them. Since Matty does not speak the obligatory requirements that he say what he wants, and what he will follow up.
Since he likes to paint and decorate, he always includes the Colorist app in the list of selections. As for the work itself in the program, we first choose the theme of the drawings and only then we select the drawing itself, we try to paint different themes, but most of all Matty likes children’s themes and the world of aquatic animals. We do not proceed to the next stage until the choice is spoken.
Since Matty has problems with self-coordination, while working with applications I try to be on the part of. Basically, Matty correctly selects the color scheme of the picture, tries to fantasize, sometimes there are times when he takes care of himself very much and tries to fill the entire sketch in the same color tone, then you have to get into the process.
During the work we have a few rules:
1. We do not proceed to painting another drawing until we finish the first one.
2. We do not exit the app during work and do not turn on You Tube.
3. We do not draw the picture in one color.
4. At the end of drawing, we are discussing what exactly he painted.
5. We do not work with these applications for more than 20 minutes.
I would also like to write about what exactly develops this application in a child in my opinion:
4. In the case of Matty speech.
5. After training with the program, the level of irritability and aggression visually decreases.
6. Fine motor skills.
Coloring apps can be used also as an useful promotion for children.’